Skip to main content
Sabrang
Sabrang
Elections2019 Communalism

Sadhvi Pragya says she was "proud" of Babri demolition, gets EC notice

SabrangIndia 22 Apr 2019
Sadhvi Pragya Thakur, who is an accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, and is also contesting the Lok Sabha elections from the Bhopal constituency has sparked multiple controversies since the announcement of her candidature. The most recent one came on Saturday, April 20, when Thakur told television channel Aaj Tak that she did not regret that the Babri Masjid in Ayodhya was destroyed in 1992, and that she was "proud" of it. 

Sadhvi Pragya


"Why should I regret over the demolition of the structure? I am proud of it. A few unwanted elements were trying to enter Lord Ram’s temple, we had to remove them. I am proud of it. This has awakened the self-respect of our country. We will construct the Ram temple," Thakur said, per The Indian Express.

FirstPost noted that she said, "Ram Mandir hum banayenge aur bhavya banayenge, hum todne gaye the dhancha, maine chadhkar toda tha dhancha, iss par mujhe bhayankar garv hai. Mujhe Ishwar ne shakti di thi humne desh ka kalank mitaya hai (A grand Ram temple will be built. I had gone to demolish the structure and had climbed atop it to break the structure. I am tremendously proud of it. God gave me strength to wipe off a blot on this country)."

Per India Today, Thakur said, "The Congress has ruled for 70 years and look what it has done. Even our temples were not secure. By gathering and demolishing the structure of the Babri Masjid, the Hindus have awakened the self-respect of the country. Where will the Ram temple be constructed if not in this country?"

Sudham Khade, Bhopal’s District Election Officer (DEO) issued a notice to Thakur after her remarks, and asked for an explanation for her comments, the Hindustan Times reported. The notice stated, "The statement seems to be in violation of chapter 4 of the model code of conduct which states ‘No activity, which may aggravate existing differences or create mutual hatred or cause tension between different caste/communities/religious/linguistic groups, shall be attempted’."

This was the second Election Commission notice that Thakur received. Previously, she received one after making comments targeting Hemant Karkare, who was slain during the 2008 terror attack in Mumbai. She alleged that the late ATS chief abused and tortured her, per News18. She said, "Maine kaha tha tera sarvanash hoga (I cursed him that he would be finished)," and, "Inauspicious period started for Hemant Karkare when I was arrested. Exactly 45 days later he was killed and that was the end of the inauspicious period," News18 reported

 

Sadhvi Pragya says she was "proud" of Babri demolition, gets EC notice

Sadhvi Pragya Thakur, who is an accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, and is also contesting the Lok Sabha elections from the Bhopal constituency has sparked multiple controversies since the announcement of her candidature. The most recent one came on Saturday, April 20, when Thakur told television channel Aaj Tak that she did not regret that the Babri Masjid in Ayodhya was destroyed in 1992, and that she was "proud" of it. 

Sadhvi Pragya


"Why should I regret over the demolition of the structure? I am proud of it. A few unwanted elements were trying to enter Lord Ram’s temple, we had to remove them. I am proud of it. This has awakened the self-respect of our country. We will construct the Ram temple," Thakur said, per The Indian Express.

FirstPost noted that she said, "Ram Mandir hum banayenge aur bhavya banayenge, hum todne gaye the dhancha, maine chadhkar toda tha dhancha, iss par mujhe bhayankar garv hai. Mujhe Ishwar ne shakti di thi humne desh ka kalank mitaya hai (A grand Ram temple will be built. I had gone to demolish the structure and had climbed atop it to break the structure. I am tremendously proud of it. God gave me strength to wipe off a blot on this country)."

Per India Today, Thakur said, "The Congress has ruled for 70 years and look what it has done. Even our temples were not secure. By gathering and demolishing the structure of the Babri Masjid, the Hindus have awakened the self-respect of the country. Where will the Ram temple be constructed if not in this country?"

Sudham Khade, Bhopal’s District Election Officer (DEO) issued a notice to Thakur after her remarks, and asked for an explanation for her comments, the Hindustan Times reported. The notice stated, "The statement seems to be in violation of chapter 4 of the model code of conduct which states ‘No activity, which may aggravate existing differences or create mutual hatred or cause tension between different caste/communities/religious/linguistic groups, shall be attempted’."

This was the second Election Commission notice that Thakur received. Previously, she received one after making comments targeting Hemant Karkare, who was slain during the 2008 terror attack in Mumbai. She alleged that the late ATS chief abused and tortured her, per News18. She said, "Maine kaha tha tera sarvanash hoga (I cursed him that he would be finished)," and, "Inauspicious period started for Hemant Karkare when I was arrested. Exactly 45 days later he was killed and that was the end of the inauspicious period," News18 reported

 

Related Articles

Monday

13

Jan

Nationwide

Saturday

04

Jan

Karve Statue, Kothrud, Pune

Theme

hashimpura

Hashimpura Massacre

The Lemmings of Hashimpura
summer

Summer Culture

Our first summer culture bouquet features fiction from Syria and Iraq and poetry and art from Palestine.
khoj

Teaching Without Prejudice

Report of the CABE Committee on 'Regulatory Mechanisms for Textbooks and Parallel Textbooks Taught in Schools Outside the Government System
dalits

Hidden apartheid, 2001

The continuance of manual scavenging, untouchability and other obnoxious practices do not seem to bother the Indian establishment....

Campaigns

Monday

13

Jan

Nationwide

Saturday

04

Jan

Karve Statue, Kothrud, Pune

Videos

India

Stranded in Iran without essentials, Tamil fishermen’s desperate cry for help

More than 800 Tamil fishermen are trapped in Iran following the Corona virus outbreak. The fishermen have sent over 20 SOS videos, imploring the Indian government to rescue them. It has been 25 days since their plea, the Indian authorities are yet to respond. Even as their basic resources including water and food dwindle each day, the fishermen continue to survive despite all odds. Now, the families of the fishermen have also joined in the appeal to demand help from authorities, hoping someone takes notice of their cries before it is too late.

India

Stranded in Iran without essentials, Tamil fishermen’s desperate cry for help

More than 800 Tamil fishermen are trapped in Iran following the Corona virus outbreak. The fishermen have sent over 20 SOS videos, imploring the Indian government to rescue them. It has been 25 days since their plea, the Indian authorities are yet to respond. Even as their basic resources including water and food dwindle each day, the fishermen continue to survive despite all odds. Now, the families of the fishermen have also joined in the appeal to demand help from authorities, hoping someone takes notice of their cries before it is too late.

Analysis

hashimpura

Hashimpura Massacre

The Lemmings of Hashimpura
summer

Summer Culture

Our first summer culture bouquet features fiction from Syria and Iraq and poetry and art from Palestine.
khoj

Teaching Without Prejudice

Report of the CABE Committee on 'Regulatory Mechanisms for Textbooks and Parallel Textbooks Taught in Schools Outside the Government System
dalits

Hidden apartheid, 2001

The continuance of manual scavenging, untouchability and other obnoxious practices do not seem to bother the Indian establishment....

Archives