Home Blog Page 2302

Notebandhi Alert! Unofficial Gag on any Talk of Demonetization at 8th Vibrant Gujarat Summit

0

According to industrialists, more than 30% of Gujarat’s chemical-based units, which form a major hub of income for the state, have shut down already since the November 8 announcement. They expect the situation to get worse—Financial Express

According to all indications thus far, the summit is expected to be rather lacklustre this time around, with a majority of exhibition stalls yet to be booked.


US a Partner Country at the Vibrant Gujarat Summit, 2016

As reports of severe impact of demonetization on industry, small and big, production fall and freeze in the formal and non-formal sectors keep pouring in, while a distanced government continues in its mode of rigid denial, media reports suggest that there there appears to be an unofficial diktat within the corridors of power to sweep any discussions on the impact under the rug, ahead of the eighth edition of the Vibrant Gujarat Summit, scheduled to be held between January 10 and 13.

Talking to sections of the media on strict conditions of anonymity, a prominent Ahmedabad-based industrialist said, “There is pressure from the government to not talk about demonetisation. It is the Ahmedabad-based Gujarat Chamber of Commerce and Industry (GCCI), which is responsible for several events to be held at the summit, that had earlier planned to hold a discussion on the post-demonetisation scenario for industries at the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprise (MSME) Conclave, scheduled to be held at the summit. Inexplicably, that event has now been cancelled.

The international business magazine, Forbes, in its new year (2017) edition has literally torn apart the Narendra Modi government's irrational decision of demonetization. Steve Forbes has written,

"India's awful act underscores another piece of immorality. Money represents what people produce in the real world. It is a claim on products and services, just as a coat-check ticket is a claim for a coat left at the coat check in a restaurant or a ticket is for a seat at an event. Governments don't create resources, people do. What India has done is commit a massive theft of people's property without even the pretense of due process–a shocking move for a democratically elected government. (One expects such things in places like Venezuela.) Not surprisingly, the government is downplaying the fact that this move will give India a onetime windfall of perhaps tens of billions of dollars."

According to the Financial Express that broke this story, a prominent Ahmedabad-based industrialist said, “There is pressure from the government to not talk about demonetisation. They will not focus on demonetisation at all. We believe it will directly or indirectly affect the summit, of course. There will be lesser people attending the summit, lesser stall bookings, and there will be a lesser number of Memoranda of Understanding (MoU) signed than before.”

According to industrialists, more than 30% of Gujarat’s chemical-based units, which form a major hub of income for the state, have shut down already since the November 8 announcement. They expect the situation to get worse.

Another prominent industrialist said, “The situation is going to get much worse. Earlier, there were expectations that it would normalise in a month but it does not appear to be so. Textile units and other labour-intensive sectors like chemicals and plastics have suffered the most, but we expect the situation to get about 30% worse.”

Government officials, however, seem to be adamant on not allowing the woes of demonetisation to creep into the international summit, which this time around, has 12 partner countries namely the US, the UK, UAE, Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Japan, Netherlands, Poland, Singapore and Sweden.

Addressing mediapersons last week, JN Singh, chief secretary in the Gujarat government had said, “I see no impact of demonetisation on the summit. On the other hand, there might be a positive impact. There might be people interested in digital economy and services sector who might come forward (for signing MoUs). The people coming to the summit are usually looking for long-term impact, and demonetisation will not be a problem in the long-term.” Singh added that this edition of the Summit will be the “biggest so far”.

To emphasise the push on moving towards a cashless economy, the summit this year is also expected to witness signing of MoUs online. The scrutiny for companies expressing interest in investing in Gujarat is also expected to be greater than was seen in earlier versions of the summit.

According to all indications thus far, the summit is expected to be rather lacklustre this time around, with a majority of exhibition stalls yet to be booked.
Interestingly, the Gujarat government has always been rather tight-lipped regarding the MoUs signed at the summit and the quantum that actually translate into investment on ground. At the recent press conference, state government officials had claimed a success rate of 66% success ratio for MoUs signed at the previous editions of the summit. According to chief secretary Singh, 51,738 MoUs or investment intentions have been signed in the earlier editions of the Summit, which began in 2003.

Singh had added that of these, about 34,234 projects have either been completed or are currently under implementation. Government officials said they were constantly reviewing as to why others had not worked out.

And though the state government is pulling all stops to create hype ahead of the Summit, the biennial investment blitzkrieg is expected to be a shadow of its former editions.

WATCH THIS VIDEO -Steve Forbes


Steve Forbes speech on Demonetization: What India Has Done To Its Money Is Sickening And Immoral

 

Merry Christmas (despite everything)

0

Image Courtesy: Orijit Sen

Chhattisgarh Fake Encounter: Exhume Body of 13-year-old, Re-do Post-mortem, Orders HC

0

  

On December 16, while simply trying to collect a red ant nest, teenager Somaru Pottam was gunned down leading to widespread protests on the alleged Metapal Fake Encounter

In a breakthrough for Survivors of state repression and Maoist violence in Chhattisgarh, the High Court today ordered the exhumation of the body of 13 year old Somaru Pottam, killed after being allegedly tortured on December 16. The order was passed today on a petition filed by his parents, Kumma and Jamil Pottam, yesterday. A second post portem will also be carried out at the Maharani District Hospital Jagdalpur tomorrow, Sunday, December 25 as part of the inquiry ordered by the court on serious allegations of an extra judicial killing. The HC ordered inquiry has to be completed within 3 days and “considering the seriousness of the allegations of torture and killing”, the inquiry team should be constituted at the discretion of the Commissioner, Jagdalpur and a “video graph of the second post mortem shall also be prepared and preserved.” The court order specifically directs that the petitioner parents be allowed to remain present during both the exhumation of the young boy’s body and the subsequent second post mortem “The post mortem  report should be kept in a sealed cover”, the order reads.

The parents of the deceased, 13 year old Somaru Pottam filed a case in the High Court yesterday, on December 23 and demanded a judicial investigation of the matter. After the death of Somaru on December 16, villagers had protested in front of the Gangaloor Police Station and demanded a fair post-mortem which the police had denied. 13 year old Somaru was out with his friends on the morning of  December 16 after threshing of grains and was trying to collect a red ant nest from a Mahua tree when he and his friends were rounded up by security forces hiding in bushes nearby. While everyone else ran away, little Somaru who was short of hearing and was facing skin rashes couldn’t comprehend and escape.

 Kumma Pottam, father of Somaru, who speaks only Gondi recounted the events at a Press Conference organised by People’s Union of Civil Liberties(PUCL) in Bilaspur Press Club today. “That day, police and armed forces entered into our village and started intimidating people. Many ran away but they caught me and my cousin near our house and led us to the place where they had already tied Somaru to a tree and were beating him mercilessly. 3-4 of the D.R.G were stabbing him with their bayonets. Despite our cries and pleas to stop, they continued torturing Somaru and then shot him from a close distance in his chest, collar bone and abdomen. Then they lay the body on the ground, removed Somaru’s t-shirt and knicker and put on a black rebel uniform on his dead body. After putting a pistol near the body, they clicked pictures”.

Stories of torture and deaths have become common and widespread in this Adivasi heartland. Villagers have alleged that, after barbarically killing Somaru, the police ordered his own father and kith and kin to carry the dead body after them to the Gangaloor Police Station. They then sent the body for post-mortem to Bijapur Hospital and handed over the naked remains of little Somaru wrapped in a plastic sheet demonstrating extreme disrespect to human lives especially those of Adivasis. According to Kumma Pottam, they were also forced to put thumb prints in documents that they couldn’t read after the post-mortem.

Advocate Shalini Gera appeared for the petitioners. The High Court has ordered an inquiry within 3 days that will entail exhumation of the body and its repeat post mortem. Villagers had earlier only buried the body as they were hoping that another post mortem by independent authorities could be conducted. The Commissioner of Bastar Division has been asked to preside over the proceedings so that investigations are fair.

The spine chilling events that unfolded in Patelpara of adivasi village Metapal in district Bijapur on the morning of December 16 are, as has become the norm, one of contradictory narratives. On one hand the police claim that the encounter of a 13 year old to be one of a dreaded Maoist, while local villagers have put forward an entirely different version to the fact-finding team comprised of human rights activists and journalists. According to Metapal residents, a 13 year old child was cornered, beaten, tortured mercilessly and shot in cold blood in front of his parents. A post-mortem was conducted hurriedly, without following due procedures, and the gunning down was quickly touted as another glorious victory of police over armed rebels.

The High Court Order may be read here