BHU molestation case | SabrangIndia News Related to Human Rights Fri, 10 Nov 2023 07:41:21 +0000 en-US hourly 1 https://wordpress.org/?v=6.2.2 https://sabrangindia.in/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/Favicon_0.png BHU molestation case | SabrangIndia 32 32 After statement before the magistrate by survivor, police adds gang rape section to the case registered https://sabrangindia.in/after-statement-before-the-magistrate-by-survivor-police-adds-gang-rape-section-to-the-case-registered/ Fri, 10 Nov 2023 07:41:21 +0000 https://sabrangindia.in/?p=30962 The survivor has alleged that the motorcycle borne men had carried out the offence at gunpoint, recorded a video of her after the rape and saved her number to blackmail her 

The post After statement before the magistrate by survivor, police adds gang rape section to the case registered appeared first on SabrangIndia.

]]>
After the B. Tech student from Uttar Pradesh’s IIT-BHU (Indian Institute of Technology- Banaras Hindu University) recorded her statement before the magistrate and the police investigating officer, charges pertaining to gang rape have been added to the case. As per a report of the Newsclick, the three accused in the case had made a video of her after the rape and also saved her number in their mobile to blackmail her. It has been alleged by the survivor that the incident had been carried out at gunpoint. The criminals had come on a Bullet motorcycle.

According to the Lanka police station, the survivor recorded her statement before the magistrate on November 8, 2023 under Section 164 of the CrPC (Criminal Procedure Code). In the statement, she told the magistrate that she was not only molested but also raped by the three men.

As per a report of the Times of India, after the magisterial statement of the student, the police introduced the Section 376 (D) of the Indian Penal Code, which penalised the offence of gangrape. Prior to this, the case against the three accused had been registered under Sections 354 (assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty) and 509 (Word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman). The investigation of the case is being pursued by Police Inspector Shivakant Mishra of Lanka police station.

As per the Newsclick report, Banaras Police Commissioner Mutha Ashok Jain has said that it will not be far when the accused will be held and that it is possible for the accused to escape, as the survivor had given her written statement in front of the police and magistrate. This matter will be exposed soon, he further said. Sources said the police have found clues about the criminals and they may be exposed any day, the report stated.

FIR against 18 for disrupting peaceful protest

A day after a scuffle broke out between members of the Akhil Bharatiya Vidhyarti Parishad (ABVP), All India Students Association (AISA) and the Bhagat Singh Chatra Morcha (BCM) on November 5, a complaint was registered. As per the report of the Indian Express, a 20-year-old woman, a member of Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP), registered a complaint against 17 named persons and one unidentified person, alleging that during the protest, “objectionable” slogans were raised and when confronted, the accused “verbally abused, assaulted and also used criminal force with intent to disrobe woman.”

It has been alleged by the complainant in the complaint that the accused had also made remarks targeting a particular community. Notably, the Varanasi police have registered an FIR and booked 18 persons in connection with the clash.

According to the IE report, the FIR filed states that the complainant, along with three others, including a woman, went to the protest site to seek justice for the victim in the November 2 molestation incident. “We found that some outsiders were part of the protest and they were raising objectionable slogans. When we raised an objection, the accused attacked us,” the complainant told police. She added that following “severe beating” she as well as her friend suffered leg fracture. She also claimed that the accused made “casteist” remarks to one of her friends.

The said FIR had been filed under section 505 -2 (Statements creating or promoting enmity, hatred or ill-will between classes.), 147 (rioting), 354-B (Assault or use of criminal force to woman with intent to disrobe.), 323 (voluntarily causing hurt), 504 ( Intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of the peace ), 506 (criminal intimidation) of the IPC. The police have also invoked the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989 against the accused.

The protest by students continue

On November 8, the students at IIT-BHU boycotted their classes and held their classes on Library Road in front of the Director’s office, protesting the non-arrest of the accused. Later in the evening, thousands of BHU students took out a huge march carrying placards in their hands. The movement ended after a huge struggle.

Later, on the evening of the same day, thousands of students took to the streets and put pressure on the police. The students took out a march of about 3-kilometer, starting from the office of the Director of IIT, and raised slogans against the police. As per the IE report, some students were even seen walking barefoot with the photo of Pandit Madan Mohan Malviya in their hands. The students’ march passed through Hyderabad Gate and Visvesvaraya Square and reached the Director’s office and turned into a dharna. The students said that the protest would continue until the accused were arrested.

Late at night, many top police officers reached the spot among the students protesting outside IIT-BHU. They held several rounds of talks with representatives of the IIT Students Parliament. After receiving concrete assurance of the early arrest of the accused, the agitating students went back to the hostels. The students have, however, given an ultimatum that if the accused are not arrested soon, they would take to the streets and protest again.

 

Related:

BHU molestation case: No arrests made, students allege a previous incident of molestation by bike-borne men, institute puts in security measures

IIT-BHU: Female student molested, abused and stripped by three bike-borne men inside campus

Dalit academic alleges assault, molestation; FIR names 2 faculty, 2 students: BHU

The post After statement before the magistrate by survivor, police adds gang rape section to the case registered appeared first on SabrangIndia.

]]>
BHU molestation case: No arrests made, students allege a previous incident of molestation by bike-borne men, institute puts in security measures https://sabrangindia.in/bhu-molestation-case-no-arrests-made-students-allege-a-previous-incident-of-molestation-by-bike-borne-men-institute-puts-in-security-measures/ Mon, 06 Nov 2023 09:55:35 +0000 https://sabrangindia.in/?p=30859 Protesting BHU students reveal another case of molestation by bike-borne men days prior to this incident, Station House Officer (SHO) of Lanka police station Ashwini Pandey sent back to the lines for “dereliction of duty” even as Congress state president, Ajay Rai alleges involvement of ABVP members in the November 1 molestation of a woman student

The post BHU molestation case: No arrests made, students allege a previous incident of molestation by bike-borne men, institute puts in security measures appeared first on SabrangIndia.

]]>
Students at the Varanasi-based Benaras Hindu University (BHU) have been protesting in large numbers at the campus for the past week, to demand justice for the victim and a safer campus for all students, even as no arrests have been made so far in the shocking case of disrobing and violent molestation of a woman student on the late evening of November 1, last Wednesday. Students have also revealed another case of molestation days prior to the November 1 incident by bike-borne men on the campus. Meanwhile, police have told the media that Station House Officer (SHO) of Lanka police station Ashwini Pandey sent back to the lines for “dereliction of duty”

Several media reports have revealed the open clashes taking place between various student member groups at the institutions and attempts by the Akhil Bharatiya Vidhyarthi Parishad (ABVP) of creating chaos. According to a report in the English Jagran, a scuffle broke out between student members of the ABVP, All India Students Association (AISA) and the Bhagat Singh Chatra Morcha (BCM) on November 5. With the ABVP accused of “being violent and unjust by the BCM, the office bearers of the ABVP have, accused members of the AISA and the BCM of “starting the scuffle.”

The “clash” between the groups escalated to the extent that the police had to intervene and light force was used to disperse them. According to the Jagran report, the members of AISA had planned to burn effigies of PM Modi, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath, Vice Chancellor of BHU and the Principal of Women’s College, BHU. When the ABVP members tried to snatch the effigy, a scuffle broke out. In turn, , the members of the ABVP had themselves indulged in burning effigies of Uttar Pradesh Congress president, Ajay Rai, who had recently issued a statement accusing the ABVP members in connection with the aforementioned incident of sexual harassment with the female student.

According to Rai, persons associated with ABVP and Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) were involved in the incident of sexual harassment. Rai had attacked the government by alleging that the government had appointed people associated with the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) in universities leading to the saffronisation of universities. He demanded immediate arrest of the people associated with the Sangh who were encouraging ABVP workers, a report by the India Herald provided.

Police yet to make any arrests, another incident comes to light

Shockingly, no arrests have been made by the police in connection with the case so far.. As per a report of Times of India, Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Bhelupur, Praveen Kumar Singh has stated that the ­­­­. Police officers have stated that apart from the university guards, police constables have also been deployed at the entry gates of the institute. The police have also assured that specialised teams have been assembled to pursue the culprits.

Even as the police dithers from taking any concrete action, protesting students have revealed that another female student had faced a similar ordeal two days before the aforementioned incident on November 1. According to the Free Press Journal (FPJ), Pranav Suresh, vice-president of IIT-BHU Students’ Parliament, a students’ group of the institute, in a video statement stated that on October 30, another such incident of sexual violence had taken place.  “While the current incident occurred on Wednesday night, another female student was molested by three men who touched her inappropriately and fled from the spot on Monday night,” the report provided.

It was further alleged by Suresh that the victim had lodged a complaint regarding the matter with the proctorial board. Suresh had also claimed that such incidents have become common on the campus and are committed by outsiders who easily enter the campus. Notably, ACP Singh had denied having any information on the Monday incident and stated, “The university administration has not informed us about any such incident.”

Meanwhile, on November 4, ABVP members protested Ajay Rai’s statement by, in turn, staging a protest and burning effigies of Rahul Gandhi and Ajay Rai. The ABVP had also demanded punitive measures against Rai for his claims. An FIR had also been filed at the Lanka police by the ABVP members against Rai on November 3. He has been booked under Section 505(2) (statement conducing to public mischief) of the Indian Penal Code.

On November 5, four days after the shocking recent case of disrobing and molestation of a woman stident, abuse and harassment reported from inside the campus Banaras Hindu University and the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) BHU, a joint meeting of the administrations was organised to raise the issue of student security. According to a press release, both the administrations have decided to take measures on surveillance, CCTV coverage, and lighting on the roads. Notably, the meeting was attended by BHU vice-chancellor Sudhir Kumar Jain, IIT BHU director Pramod Kumar Jain and other top functionaries.

The press release details the measures that both the institutions will be employing for ensuring the safety and peaceful and peaceful living of students of the campuses. Among the measures, the institutes state that proper lighting will be provided on the campus within the next two days along with strengthened security barriers and strict enforcement of security protocol. “All the seven gates of the campus are being under strict check from 10 pm to 5 am to restrict the entry of anti-social elements,” the official statement added.

Furthermore, the institutions emphasised that the already existing women’s grievance cells at IIT (BHU) and BHU will be strengthened and more participation from students was encouraged. The institutes have also formed a joint committee of faculty members which would work towards safety of students.

On the night of November 1, a female engineering student of IIT-BHU was allegedly molested and stripped by three motorcycle-borne men near her hostel. According to the complaint lodged by the victim, she was out with a friend on the IIT-BHU campus on Wednesday night when the incident took place. The duo were near the Karman Baba temple when three men came there on a motorcycle and forcibly took her to a corner and gagged her after separating her from her friend. The three accused then stripped the victim, made a video of her and clicked photos. As per her complaint, she was let go after 15 minutes. The three accused took her phone number, the complaint had stated. An FIR (First Information Report) had been lodged based upon the complaint. A massive protest by hundreds of students had taken place after the incident had been reported.

On the issue of constructing a boundary wall between the two campuses, a demand raised by the students over the recent incident of women violence, the members of the meeting resolved not to create a boundary wall between the two educational institutions as they believed that it will not solve the problem and is not feasible. The official statement provided that “It was unanimously agreed upon that in the current situation, in which many faculty buildings and other units/services such as hospital, sewage system, power/water supply, post office, roads leading to the campus, entry gates etc. are jointly shared, it is not feasible to isolate/divide the campus with a boundary wall. Both the institutions reiterated their commitment for ensuring safety of students in the campus as a whole and to take necessary measures as and when needed.” The institutes have urged students to extend their cooperation and resolved to implement the measures in “full-force”.

The complete press release can be read here:

 

Related:

IIT-BHU: Female student molested, abused and stripped by three bike-borne men inside campus

University takes on a communal colour as Muslim students are targeted, abused, called terrorist by ABVP

ABVP gang run riot disrupt academic session on Constitution & NEP: Odisha

Goa: ABVP disrupts classes in St. Xavier’s College, Mapusa

ABVP’s strong arm tactics have received a soft touch from law enforcement & the Indian state: 2014-2022

The post BHU molestation case: No arrests made, students allege a previous incident of molestation by bike-borne men, institute puts in security measures appeared first on SabrangIndia.

]]>